Thursday, June 11, 2009

Benjamin Trix-me


There was a lot of anticipation when after André 3000 of Outcast fame decided to launch a fashion label last year called Benjamin Bixby. After all, André is widely considered to be one of the best and most original dressers in America. The label is said to be inspired from American college football circa the 1930's.

After rummaging through some of the collection at Holt Renfrew in Toronto, I was disappointed to discover that almost all items were made in China. I think I found only one raw silk jacket that was made in Italy. I expected more from the label. Furthermore, while not outrageous, I don't see how the prices being sought can be justified for garments made in China.

Also, from what I saw on the sale rack, the label doesn't seem to be doing that well. It just goes to show that it does not follow that one can make it as a successful designer simply because one is a good (or in André's case, the best) dresser.
Sorry Ms. Jackson, but Benjamin Bixby may not be around forever ever.


-The scandal

No comments:

Post a Comment