Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Calvin Decline

This spring, Calvin Klein has introduced an aggressive marketing campaign for its new line of men's underwear called "Bold" (not to be confused with the RIM device).  CK men's underwear has always proved hugely popular, especially after its notorious Marky Mark marketing campaign in the early 90's.

For the most part, I'd say the brand deserves  its preeminent status among men's fashionable underwear labels. Most of their underwear designs are stylish, minimalist, and masculine without being creepy. That's why their latest ads come as somewhat as a surprise to me.



I really can't relate to the fashion statement to be had by such bright underwear colours. I think men should probably stick to safe neutral tones, like ash grey or black. As for white underwear, it will always have the schnooky "tightie-whitie" stigma, so unless I'm wearing white pants, I stay away from them.




The bottom line (pun intended) is that I don't think men should view their underwear as yet another fashion accessory ripe for a dramatic, sexy style reboot. I never cared for goofy or quirky underwear offered by brands such as Joe Boxer or Bjorn Borg, and I'm not feeling the latest CK line either.





-The Scandal

No comments:

Post a Comment